I got my Samsung Gear Live watch about 5 months ago before the madness of the iWatch and I gotta say that I love it. The biggest gain that it has made in my life is just the simple matter that it allows me to leave my phone in my pocket, hands on the wheel, and attention only slightly distracted to my wrist vs completely focused on my phone.
I’ve seen a bunch of reviews on it, but thought I would share some of my favorite quick tips/tricks that I use it for on a daily basis.
- “Ok Google, Send text to …”, “Send email to …” really is as easy as I could ever imagine. You do need to have your contacts lined up for it to recognize the correct email or phone #, but I have never been able to text my wife “I love you”, faster than I can now.
- “Navigate to …” Navigating to a Starbucks has never been easier. It will give you the option to see the navigation on the watch, or send it to your phone for full viewing. I hardly ever need to use my phone with it.
- “Show me a picture of a …” Ever need to immediately see how many floors there are on the leaning tower of Pisa in Italy for a game? Try this statement, and you’ll have a picture on your wrist in seconds to show all your company.
- “Start Camera” (Wear Camera): You can immediately see the camera view from your phone (front or back) using Wear Camera. Easily take pictures old timer style of your family, use it as a nanny cam with your kids, or simply get a better view by holding your phone anywhere and taking the picture from your wrist.
- I am a big Google Keep guy, and I will typically say “Ok Google, Take a note to buy new bike helmet for race coming up. The note will immediately be placed into your Google Keep account (after a couple of setting changes) for review later.
- Coin Flip: Need to resolve something quick with a quick flip of a coin? You no longer even need the coin. Download Simple Coin Flip and it’ll emulate the perfect coin flip fast. I personally play this with my son every once in a while.
- Custom Watch face: Don’t like the stock watch faces on your app? WatchMaker is a breeze to learn and allows a lot of fun great customization from local weather, to current steps, and even next calendar agenda item from Google calendar.
- Steps and Heart Rate: Google Fit comes stock on the watch, and I am a full on believer at this point. It syncs into my strava account, and also watches all walking and running (in the airport) that you do and calulates it all together and mashes them up against the goals you give Google Fit. Ever wonder what your steps or heart rate are at a select time? “Ok Google, How many steps have I taken today” “…whats my heart rate?” It is pretty money.
- Set timers or stopwatch: Ever BBQ a steak? Nothing is cooler than talking into your wrist “Ok Google, Set a timer for 12 minutes” to let you know when your steak is ready to flip. Never needed to touch a single screen to get the timer going.
- “Whats my Agenda for today?” Hook up to Google Calendar, and you have your whole agenda available to you in just a couple words. You can even flip the screen to show more details, or edit easily.
- Reminders: “Ok Google, Remind me to get Milk at King Soopers“. Yes, it is that simple to have a smart reminder hit you up when you are near a specific location. If it is not a familiar location, you may need to teach it at first, but it will nail it next time. This is a function of Google Keep, so it comes through very simplified just like the note taking.
- Music: I have a Spotify account, and since you control Spotify from your phone, it is now easily controllable from your wrist with your watch and allows you to turn music volume up and change songs even if you are far away (BlueTooth distance) from your phone.
I know there are a BUNCH of tips out there, but these are my favorites, and thought that it could help others fall in more love of their watch a bit more. Enjoy!